CurrentGK -> General Knowledge -> Current Affairs -> Indian Current Affairs May 2010
If you find this context important and usefull. We request to all visitors to sheare this with your friends on social networking channels.
Indian Current Affairs May 2010
Indian Current Affairs May 2010
International Current Affairs 2010
- G-15 summit was held at Tehran on 16-17 May.
- Bangladesh handed over Ranjan Daimary of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland to India. The group was responsible for serial bombing in Assam in 2008.
- National League for Democracy (NLD) party of Myannmar’s democracy leader Aung San Sui Kyi was abolished after deadline to re-register as a political party was over.
- EU-IMF provide a $ 1 trillion rescue package to the Greece to resolve its debt crises.
- Pakistan successfully test fired two short range ballistic missiles, Shaheen I( range 650 Km) and Ghazani (range 290 Km) capable of carrying nuclear war heads and striking Indian cities.
National Current Affairs 2010
- Naxalites killed 47 people in a landmine blast between Dantewada and Sukma in Chattisgarh.
- Test fire of nuclear capable Agni-II missile was successfully carried out from Wheeler Island off the coast of Orissa on 17th May. Agni II has a range of 2000Km. It is 20m long two stage solid propelled ballistic missile. It was developed by Advanced System Laboratories alongwith DRDO & Bharat Dynamics Ltd.
- Supreme Court in a recent judgement upheld a rule that allows the adjustment of reserved category candidate SC/ST/OBC against their quota seats even if they manage to qualify an examination for govt services on merit.
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) is the monitoring authority for the Right to Education Act which became effective from April 1, 2010.
Sports Current Affairs 2010
- England won 2010 ICC World Twenty20 Cricket tournament defeating Australia. The tournament was held at South Africa. Kevin Pieterson of England has been declared as Player of the Tournament.
- Australia won 2010 Women’s World Twenty20 Cricket tournament defeating New Zealand.
- India and South Korea were declared joint winner of 2010 Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Cup, after suspension of the final match due to heavy rains.India’s Sardar Singh has been declared as Best Player of the Tournament. Australia won the Bronze medal. The tournament was held at Ipoh (Malaysia). India had won the tournament earlier in 1985, 1991, 1995 & 2009.
- China won Thomas Cup ( Men’s Badminton) defeating Indonesia.
- In the World Youth Boxing Championship, held at Baku, Azerbaijan, India won 1 Gold & 1 Silver. Gold medal was won by Vikas Krishan and Silver medal was won by Shiva Thapa.
- India won bronze medal in the 2nd Asian Paragliding Championship held at Nishiewa, Japan.
- World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand retained his title after defeating Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria in the World Chess Championship 2010.
Awards Current Affairs 2010
- Vandana Shiva has been awarded Sydney Peace Prize 2010 for her work in the field of social justice.
Persons in News 2010
- Gita Gopinath an Indian origin associate professor at Harvard Univ has been appointed a full professor, the first Indian woman in the Institution’s history to ge given this appointment.
- Former Vice President of India, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat died.
- Rima Fakih was crowned Miss USA 2010. She became the first ever muslim American Miss USA. She is of Lebanese muslim descent.
- Singer Christina Aguilera was named Ambassador against hunger by the United Nations World Food Programme.
- Rushanara Ali became first person of Bangladesh origin to be elected to the British Parliament.
- David Cameron elected Prime Minister of Britain. Nick Clegg became the Dy Prime Minister. Britain gets first coalition govt since World War-II. It is between Conservative and Liberal Democrats.
- Justice S H Kapadia sworn as new Chief Justice of India.
- Hari S Bhartia elected as President of Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) for 2010-11.
- Jessica Watson became the youngest person to sail unassisted around the world in a yatch.
- International Mosaics Festival was held in Tunisia.
- Aman ki Asha- the name of the Indo Pak Business Meet held at New delhi.
- International Museum Day- 18 May.
- ’Yours Sincerely’ written by Natwar Singh.
- ’The Duel’ written by Tariq Ali.
- ’The Promise :President Obama, Year One’ written by Jonathan Alter.