The 11 Rule
You likely all know the 10 rule (to multiply by 10, just add a 0 behind the number) but do you know the 11 rule? It is as easy! You should be able to do this one in you head for any two digit number. Practice it on paper first!
To multiply any two digit number by 11:
- For this example we will use 54.
- Separate the two digits in you mind (5__4).
- Notice the hole between them!
- Add the 5 and the 4 together (5+4=9)
- Put the resulting 9 in the hole 594. That's it! 11 x 54=594
The only thing tricky to remember is that if the result of the addition is greater than 9, you only put the "ones" digit in the hole and carry the "tens" digit from the addition. For example 11 x 57 ... 5__7 ... 5+7=12 ... put the 2 in the hole and add the 1 from the 12 to the 5 in to get 6 for a result of 627 ... 11 x 57 = 627
Practice it on paper first!