SCMHRD Question Paper-1
SCMHRD Question Paper-1
Directions for questions 1 to 40: Select the correct alternative from the given choices.
1. What is the targeted fiscal deficit as part of the GDP for FY2003-04?
(a) 5.6% (b) 6.1%
(c) 6.5% (d) 6.9%
2. Where was the World Seed Congress held in June 2003?
(a) Pune (b) Anand
(c) Bangalore (d) Chennai
3. Which of the following is the world’s largest non- American auto company?
(a) Hyundai Motor (b) Toyota Motor
(c) DaimlerChrysler (d) Fiat Motor
4. Which Indian pharma giant is headed by D.S Brar?
(a) Cipla (b) Ranbaxy
(c) Wockhardt (d) Dr.Reddy’s
5. According to the CMIE, what was India’s trade deficit as percentage of its exports for 2002-03?
(a) 17% (b) 21%
(c) 24% (d) 28%
6. Naina Lal Kidwai has been selected by Forbes magazine as one of the 50 most powerful businessmen women in the world. She is associated with which leading corporate group?
(a) Morgan Stanley (b) PepsiCo
(c) HSBC (d) A V Birla
7. Which NGO has launched ‘Karm Mitra’, a unique fund raising programme?
(a) Child Relief and You (b) Asha
(c) Helpage India (d) Action Aid India
8. Where is the headquarters of Nestle, the world’s largest food group?
(a) Vevey, Switzerland (b) Rotterdam, The Netherlands
(c) Vienna, Austria (d) Munich, Germany
9. According to Transparency International Corruption Index 2003, India ranks as the ___ most corrupt nation.
(a) 51st (b) 69th
(c) 78th (d) 83rd
10. Anna Lindh, who was killed in September 2003, was the foreign minister of
(a) Belgium. (b) Ireland.
(c) Sweden. (d) Norway.
11. Which Indian telecom company has purchased FLAG Telecom, an international network interlinking company, for $207 million in October 2003?
(a) Tata Teleservices (b) Reliance Infocomm
(c) Bharti Televentures (d) BPL Mobile
12. Which corporate group owns Madura Garments, one of India’s biggest apparel companies?
(a) Reliance Group (b) Bombay Dyeing Group
(c) ITC Group (d) A V Birla Group
13. Which auto major currently owns the bankrupt Daewoo Motor Company?
(a) Honda Motor (b) BMW
(c) General Motor (d) Volkswagen
14. Which of the following countries is not a member of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)?
(a) Brunei (b) Laos
(c) Sri Lanka (d) Vietnam
15. What is the name of the space rocket that carried China’s first manned space mission?
(a) Long March 2F (b) Long March 2G
(c) Long March 2I (d) Long March 2K
16. Which media company owns the FM radio channel, Radio Mirchi?
(a) News Corporation India (b) NDTV
(c) Bennett, Coleman & Co., (d) Living Media
17. Who is the author of the book, ‘The Future of Freedom’?
(a) Samuel Huntington (b) Fareed Zakaria
(c) Humphrey Hawksley (d) Tariq Ali
18. Which of the following banks is not a part of ‘MITR’, a shared ATM network?
(a) UTI Bank (b) Indian Bank
(c) Global Trust Bank (d) Centurion Bank
19. What is the project codename of the multi-billion project launched by ONGC in 2003, to explore deep-sea oil and gas?
(a) Sagar Samrat (b) Sagar Khoj
(c) Sagar Samriddhi (d) Sagar Amrit
20. Which television news channel’s holding company is named Media Content and Communication Services (MCCS)?
(a) NDTV India (b) Aaj Tak
(c) CNBC (d) Star News
21. Which of the following stock indices has become India’s first to adopt the free float market capitalization methodology?
(a) NSE S&P CNX Nifty
(b) BSE Sensex-30
(c) NSE S&P CNX Nifty Jr
(d) Both (a) and (b)
22. Grasim has acquired the cement division of Larsen & Toubro (L&T). Grasim is the flagship company of
(a) Gujarat Ambuja Group.
(b) Aditya Vikram Birla Group.
(c) India Cements Group.
(d) J K Industries Group.
23. Which of the following companies is the world’s largest by sales revenue according to Fortune 500 for 2003?
(a) General Motor (b) Exxon Mobil
(c) Wal-Mart Stores (d) Ford Motor
24. From which country has India acquired the Firefinder series of radars?
(a) Israel (b) Britain
(c) Italy (d) USA
25. What is the growth ratio of India’s GDP for 2003- 04 as forecast by Moody’s Investor Services?
(a) 6% (b) 6.5%
(c) 7% (d) 7.5%
26. Which of the following F-1 Grand Prix was not won by Michael Schumacher in 2003?
(a) European Grand Prix
(b) San Marino Grand Prix
(c) Canadian Grand Prix
(d) Spanish Grand Prix
27. What was the venue of AdAsia 2003, Asia’s largest advertising and marketing event, held in October 2003?
(a) Bangalore (b) Hyderabad
(c) Chennai (d) Jaipur
28. Which among the following is the 19th language to be included in Schedule VIII of the Indian Constitution?
(a) Tulu (b) Bodo
(c) Maithili (d) Nepali
29. Sergio Vieira De Mello, who was killed in a suicide bombing in Baghdad in August 2003, was
(a) the US-appointed administrator of Iraq.
(b) the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
(c) the Special Envoy of UN Secretary-General to Iraq.
(d) both (b) and (c)
30. Where was the Simhasta Kumbha Mela held in 2003?
(a) Rajahmundry (b) Srisailam
(c) Nashik (d) Amarkantak
31. Find the incorrect match.
(a) World Human Rights Day – December 10
(b) World Habitat Day – October 3
(c) World Thrift Day – October 31
(d) World Telecommunications Day – May 17
32. Who among the following is the American Ambassador to India?
(a) Robert Blackwill (b) Strobe Talbott
(c) Larry Pressler (d) None of these
33. Who among the following is the European Union’s Trade Commissioner, its chief negotiator at the Fifth Ministerial Conference of the WTO at Cancun?
(a) Robert Zoellick (b) Pascal Lamy
(c) Wim Duisenberg (d) Chris Patten
34. Which of the following is incorrectly matched about the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2003? Award Category Winner
(a) Government Service – J M Lyngdoh (India)
(b) Public Service – Shanta Sinha (India)
(c) Emergent Leadership – Aniceto Guterres (East Timor)
(d) Journalism, Literature – Shiela Coronel and Creative (The Philippines) Communications
35. Which of the following NGOs made public its test results of pesticide residues in soft drinks?
(a) Centre for Food and Drugs Administration
(b) Centre for Clean Health
(c) Centre for Science and Environment
(d) Centre for Science and Technology
36. Which city hosted the Inter-State Council Meeting in July 2003, the first meeting of ISC, held outside of New Delhi?
(a) Bangalore (b) Gandhinagar
(c) Kolkata (d) Srinagar
37. Amitabh Bachchan is not a brand ambassador for
(a) Nerolac Paints. (b) Parker Pens.
(c) ICICI Bank. (d) Mercedes Benz.
38. Which bollywood celebrity owns a film production company called Reel Life Entertainment?
(a) Anupam Kher (b) Shah Rukh Khan
(c) Rani Mukherjee (d) Raveena Tandon
39. Which organization publishes the World Investment Report?
(a) World Bank (b) IMF
(c) UNCTAD (d) WTO
40. Who among the following world leaders is nicknamed ‘Butcher of Beirut’?
(a) Saddam Hussein (b) Ariel Sharon
(c) Yasser Arafat (d) George Bush Jr
- TOEFL Preparation : Reading Comprehension Page 2
- GRE Quantitative Section : Comparison Page 2
- TOEFL : Structure & Written Expression (Appositive)
- English Corner This Week
- TOEFL : Structure & Written Expression (Subject)
- TOEFL Preparation : Reading Comprehension Page 4
- GRE Quantitative Section : Quantitative Ability Page 2
- TOEFL Preparation : Reading Comprehension Page 8
- IRMA Question Paper-2 (Page 2)
- GRE Verbal Section : Sentence Completions Questions Page 2