Current Affairs 2009 for all competitive exams
501. Who crowned the first ever Miss Bollywood UK at a gala event in Birmingham ?
502. Indians who won the mixed doubles title at the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix Gold badminton?
Jwala Gutta and Valiyaveetil Diju
503. Who won the Man of the Series in the test series between Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
Thilan Samaraveera(Sri Lanka)
Sri Lanka Won the series(2-0)
504. Which country won Nehru Cup International Football Tournament 2009?
India defeated Syria by 5-4 (penalty shootout) in the finals on August 31, 2009.
Goal-keeper Subroto Paul, who saved three penalties to become India’s saviour, was awarded the man of the match of the final.
India won this cup two times, 2007 & 2009.
505. Who won the Man of the Tournament award of Nehru Cup Football title-2009?
Bhaichung Bhutia, Indian Captain
506. Which scientist is elected as the new President of International Academy of Astronautics (IAA)?
Dr. Madhavan Nair, Chief of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
507. Who is the new Air Officer Commanding –in-Chief of Southern Air Command of India?
Air Marshal Sumit Mukerjee. He is the only pilot in the history of IAF to have commanded units with the Mig-21,Mig-23U, Mig-25, Mig-27 and Mig-29 aircraft.
508. Who is appointed as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command?
Vice-Admiral K.N. Sushil
509. Who will act as a bowling consultant for the Kolkata Knight Riders during the third edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) next year?
510. India achieved a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate of how much percentage during April-June 2009?
511. The Indian-American fashion designer who charged with sexually assaulting seven girls was sentenced to 59 years of imprisonment on Aug 31?
Anand Jon Alexander
512. Who is appointed as the new Air Officer-in-Charge Personnel (AOP)of the Indian Air Force (IAF)?
Air Marshal KJ Mathews
513. Country which has been expelled from the Commonwealth after failing to announce plans to hold elections in 2010?
514. Distinguished scientist and the man in charge of the development of missile and strategic systems in the country, who is appointed as the chief of the Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO)?
Dr Vijay Kumar Saraswat
515. Who is appointed as the vice chief of Indian Army?
Lt General P C Bhardwaj
516. Bollywood Actor who has been appointed by Life insurance Company Max New York Life as the brand ambassador for Max Vijay, a brand specifically targeted at providing financial inclusion to the underprivileged masses?
517. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister who feared dead after his Bell 430 chopper crash-landed about 40 nautical miles east of the Kurnool mountainous area of Andra Pradesh?
Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy
518. The first Iranian female cabinet minister who is appointed since the foundation of the Islamic Republic 30 years?
Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi
Iranian parliament approves Marzieh as new health minister despite opposition from hardline MPs and clerics.
519. Who won the Man of the Series Award in the recent 20-20 cricket series between Sri Lanka and New Zealand which is held in Sri Lanka?
Jesse Ryder(New Zealand).
New Zealand won the series by 2-0.
520. Lok Sabha Secretary General who was recently given a year’s extension by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar?
521. Who took over charge as Additional General Manager, Southern Railway?
Shri A.K. Gupta
522. Athletes who won $1 million Golden League jackpot which is given by IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) to anyone who wins all six of the premier European meets?
(All gold Yelena Isinbayeva, Kenenisa Bekele and Sanya Richards Getty Images)
Answer:Yelena Isinbayeva, Kenenisa Bekele and Sanya Richards
523. Who is the new Brand Ambassador of popular Levis Jeans?
524. U.S.President Barack Obama’s adviser and an administration official specializing in environmentally friendly “green jobs” with the White House Council on Environmental Quality who resigned amid controversy over past inflammatory statements?
(Photo:Carlos) Van Jones
525. Who has topped the list of world’s 10 top earning cricketers compiled by Forbes magazine ?
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Indian skipper
Raking in USD 10 million, Dhoni is at the top of the chart followed by Tendulkar at the second spot with earnings worth USD 8 million in the list of ‘The World’s Top-Earning Cricketers’ . While Yuvraj Singh and Dravid are at the third and fourth spot, respectively, Ganguly and Australian cricketer Ricky Ponting share the sixth place.
526. Former Chief Minister of Punjab and former governor of Haryana and Orissa , who died recently after a prolonged illness?
Harcharan Singh Brar
527. Recently India and US have signed a pact on ?
528. Who has become the second Indian after Geet Sethi to win the World’s Billiards Championship?
He beat defending champion Mark Russel 2030-1253 to win the World Professional Billiards Championship-2009. Geet Sethi won the title in 1992.
529. Australian Cricket player who retired from international Twenty20 cricket recently?
530. The first African country to qualify for the 2010 World Cup Football which is to be held in South Africa?
531. Which country leads world in foreign weapons sales in the year 2008?
United States of America. America accounted for more than two-thirds of foreign weapons sales in 2008.
532. Who participated as the chief guest at the 19th Independence Day celebrations of Tajikistan which was held at Dushanbe?
Pratibha Patil, President of India
533. Reserve Bank recently decided to introduce polymer banknotes of which denomination whose life span would be 4 times the normal currency notes and would be difficult to imitate.?
Polymer notes were first introduced in Australia to safeguard against counterfeiting of currency
534. The Sri Lankan government has ordered a senior United Nations diplomat to leave the country after accusing him of partiality towards the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). Name of that spoke person of UNICEF?
James Elder, an Australian national.
535. Woman journalist of Sudan convicted of public indecency for wearing trousers outdoors was freed recently despite her own desire to serve a month in prison as protest against Sudan’s draconian morality laws?
536. Name of the Buddha statue gifted by Mahatma Gandhi to one of his Irish friend, which was sold in London in the auction for Rs 5.47 lakh (6,840 pounds)?
The statue was possibly of the Bodhisattva of compassion Avalokitesvara, a seated 13-inch-high bronze Buddha statue.
Gandhiji gave this statue to his Irish friend Emma Harker when she volunteered for relief work among the poor in flooded areas of Bihar and Orissa.
537. Who was the captain of Indian team for the 23rd FIBA Asia Women Basketball Championship held in Chennai?
Geethu Anna Jose
538. Venezuela recognized the independence of two countries on September 10, 2009. Name that countries.
South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
Earlier, Russia and Nicaragua also recognized independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
539. New York Governor David Paterson recently signed into law a bill that bans use of a word in documents used by state agencies, public authorities and municipalities when referring to persons of Asian or Pacific islander heritage.
540. Indian Musician who has been invited to perform live along with the famous Pussycat Dolls — a pop girl group and dance ensemble- on the occasion of the India’s historic participation in the America’s world famous Polo Cup?
541. Former Taiwan President who has been found guilty of corruption and sentenced to life in prison?
542. Indian film which is included in the “Festival of festival” section in the Cairo International film festival that will commence on the tenth of November?
Raman. The film is directed by Dr.Biju.
543. Which footballer won the annual VP Sathyan Memorial Award?
Chennai-based, Kerala Sports Persons Association (KESPA) has picked Tamil Nadu footballer Mohanraj for this award.
544. Former president of BCCI who served as the chairman of the national selection committee (including when Sachin Tendulkar was first picked in the Indian team in 1989) died at the age of 73 following a prolonged illness recently?
Raj Singh Dungarpur
545. High Court Lawyer, who has been appointed Assistant Solicitor General of India for conducting Central government cases other than the cases of income tax and the Railway Department before the High Court?
T.P.M. Ibrahim Khan
546. An island of Mexico which was clearly visible on national and international maps until the middle of the 20th century has gone missing now?
Bermeja Island. This island is strategically important as it could give Mexico a claim to millions of dollars worth of oil deposits.
547. Cuban revolutionary leader, who has died in Havana at the age of 82, had been among only three surviving rebel leaders who still bore the honorary title “Commander of the Revolution.”
Juan Almeida Bosque
548. World’s oldest person, a woman who was born in 1894 died in California at the age of 115 gained a measure of fame when she voted for Barack Obama for U.S. president?
549. Which country will host the 6th SAF football matches scheduled for December 1-15 of this year?
Bangladesh. Eight teams of South Asian countries will take part in these matches.
550. First Indian to reach semi-finals of World Boxing Championships and fist Indian to win a medal in the same event?
He won Bronze medal in the World Boxing Championships and becomes the first Indian to do so.
551. Which club won their maiden IFA Shield football tournament title?
Churchill Brothers, Goa
They beating local giant Mohun Bagan 2-0
552. Nat West One day cricket series between England and Australia won by ?
Australia. They won the series 6-1.
553. Who has been selected for this year’s Mathrubhumi Literary Award of Rs.2 Lakhs instituted by the Malayalam daily “Mathrubhumi”?
554. Name of the 14-year-old astrophysicist from Kozhikode, Kerala who recently participated in the NASA space camp where a model rocket designed by her was launched?
Hannan Binth Hashim.
She has prepared a research paper titled ‘Absolute Theory of Zero’ which questions the accuracy of many existing theories like Albert Einstein’s ‘Theory of relativity’ and the ‘Big Bang Theory’.
555. An American agronomist, humanitarian, and Nobel laureate who has been deemed the father of the Green Revolution died at the age of 95, on September 12, 2009?
He was one of only six people to have won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. He was also a recipient of the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian honor.
556. Which film won the Golden Lion for best picture at the Venice film festival?
Hard-hitting Israeli war movie “Lebanon” is directed by Samuel Maoz
Best Actor Award: Colin Firth
Best Actress Award: Ksenia Rappoport
557. Who won the Silver Lion prize for best director at the Venice film festival?
She won this award for the film “Women without Men,” based on a banned book about Iran in the 1950s.
558. ‘Basava Sri’ award instituted by Murugha mutt won by ?
559. Noted football commentator who was found dead in his hotel a day after the final of the IFA Shield?
Noel De Lima Leitao
560. French photographer who was one of France’s giants of photography, particularly famous for his images of post-war Paris in the 1940s and 1950s died recently at the age of 99?
561. Who has been named as one of the two Anglo Indian nominees to the Lok Sabha — taking Kerala’s strength in the Lower House of the Indian Parliament to 21?
562. Which country won the tri-nation Compaq Cup (One Day Cricket Series) held in Sri Lanka?
India beat Sri Lanka in the final by 46 runs. New Zealand was the third team.
Sachin Tendulkar won Man of the Match Award for his 138 runs in final.
Man of the Series: Sachin Tendulkar
563. Who is appointed as the Managing Director of Agri co-operative National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Limited (NAFED)?
C V Ananda Bose
564. The India Today Group has recently adjudged which state of India as the best State with regard to the law and order situation.
565. Who won US Open Men’s Double Title?
Leander Paes and Lukas Dlouhy
They won the Grand Slam title after defeating Mahesh Bhupathi and Mark Knowles in the US Open men’s doubles final. This is 10th Grant slam title for Leander Paes.
567. Who won the US Open Women’s title 2009?
She beat 19-year-old Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark, 7-5, 6-3, in the final.
She become the first unseeded woman to win the US Open and the first mother to win a major title since 1980.
568. Who Clinch US Open Women’s Doubles Title?
Serena Williams and Venus Williams
They took over top seeds Cara Black of Zimbabwe and Liezel Huber of the United States in straight sets of 6-2, 6-2 to clinch the women’s doubles title at US Open.
569. Who won US Open men’s title?
Juan Martin del Potro
Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina battled back to beat five-times champion Roger Federer 3-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 in the final
570. A juror in the fashion designer Anand Jon rape trial who was fined $1,000 and sentenced to 120 hours of community service for trying to strike up a romance with Sanjana, the sister of Anand Jon who was sentenced to 59 years?
571. Who has been selected by the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) to head the operations of the organisation as the Chairman for the period of 2009-10?
Mr Subroto Chattopadhyay
572. Name of the Olympic medal-winning boxer who has been found dead by his manager?
Sutherland has won a bronze medal for Ireland at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
573. Who will be the chairman of the Fourth Finance Commission constituted by the Government of Kerala?
574. Name of the sacred food offered to devotees at the Lord Venkateswara Temple in Andhra Pradesh which has been awarded geographical copyright that bars others from naming or marketing the sweetmeat preparation under the same name?
575. Name of the most expensive bike so far launched in India by the Japanese bike giant Yamaha?
This 1,680cc super bike VMAX, priced at Rs. 20 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
576. Person from Kerala who has been honored with the highest award of Bharat Scouts and Guides ‘Silver Elephant Award 2007-08’.?
Shri M. C. Ramadas
577. Who is named as Japan’s new Prime Minister ?
Yukio Hatoyama. He will be named the 93rd Prime Minister of Japan.
578. Indonesia’s most wanted Islamist militant, who was killed in a police shoot-out in Central Java of Indonesia ?
Noordin Mohammad Top.
579. Who is now officially the tallest man walking the planet by the Guinness World Records?
(REUTERS Andrew Winning)
Sultan Kosen 27, from Turkey was recognized as the tallest person(8 foot 1 inch (2.47 meter)) in the world on September 17,2009.
580. Who is the new Accountant General of Kerala State?
Maha Lekshmi Menon
581. Indian American technocrat who has been appointed by U.S.President Barack Obama to a key administration post dealing with energy research?
582. Footballer of Argentina who signed a two-year contract extension with Barcelona until the summer of 2016?
583. The Indians who have figured in a list of 60 “most influential foreigners” who have played a profound role in shaping the way over 1.2-billion people of modern China think and live?
Jawaharlal Nehru and Rabindranath Tagore
584. Which TV series won the 2009 Emmy award for best comedy?
585. Which TV series won the 2009 Emmy award for best drama?
586. Who is the new captain of Delhi Dare Devils Team ?
587. The Indian tennis star who has confirmed Indian team berth in the Davis Cup World Group after he ousted South Africa’s Rik Voest in the reverse singles match of the Davis Cup tie ?
Indian team has made into World Group playoff after a long period of 11 years.
588. Name of 13-year-old girl from Lucknow who addressed the United Nations Climate Change Summit in New York?
589. Who are the winners of Durand Cup-2009?
Churchill Brothers. They beat Mohun Bagan in the final. Churchill Brothers had earlier won the trophy in 2007
590. Name of Indian-origin woman who was sentenced to 33 years in jail – one of the longest jail terms handed out to a woman in Britain – for murdering her two teenaged daughters in a frenzied knife attack at her home in Cambridgeshire?
591. The 63-year-old magazine, which has covered business and politics since World War II, will shut down in December 2009, struggling with losses as readers and advertisers move to the Internet?
“Far Eastern Economic Review”
592. Name of India’s 16th remote sensing satellite successfully launched by ISRO through its space carrier Plar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) in just twenty minutes?
ISRO’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, PSLV-C14 successfully launched the 960 kg Indian remote sensing satellite Oceansat-2 and six nano satellites for international customers into a polar Sun Synchronous Orbit (SSO). This was the fifteenth successful flight of PSLV.
593. Who has been selected for this year’s Vallathol Award which carries a purse of Rs.1,11,111 and citation?
Kavalam Narayana Panicker
594. The much anticipated small car for India which was unveiled in Delhi by Ford Motor Company?
595. Who is the new director of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, (UNESCO)?
Irina Bokova, Bulgarian diplomat
596. The adventurers who set a new world record after successfully landing on Mount Everest 16,800 ft above sea level?
Ramesh Chandra Tripathi, Leo Dickinson and Ralph Mitchell.
They jumped from an altitude of 20,000 ft to land at the world’s highest drop zone, near Mount Everest.
597. A prominent Indian American agricultural scientist, who has been nominated for the post of the Chief Agricultural Negotiator in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative by the US President Barack Obama?
Islam A. Siddiqui
598. India’s maiden spacecraft, which has discovered water on the lunar surface?
599. First mixed-gender university of Saudi Arabia which opened recently?
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
600. Who is the chairman of Subordinate Legislation Committee of Indian Loksabha?
P.Karunakaran , M.P from Kerala