General Knowledge/ Current Affairs Questions May 2010 Latest Updates
General Knowledge/ Current Affairs Questions May 2010 Latest Updates
May 31, 2010:
67. Who was the famous Indian musician in charge of the opening music at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996?
66. Who was the first Indian to participate in the Olympic Games?
64. Who was the first Indian to join the Indian Civil Services?
63. Who was the first Indian to be honored with the Param Vir Chakra?
May 30, 2010:
62. Name the first woman Chief Minister of India.
60. Name the first Indian who got an Oscar.
59. Who was the first Indian to be honored by the Royal Society in the field of Science?
May 29, 2010:
57. Who was the first Indian musician to receive the Padma Bhusan?
56. Name the living Indian legend who has found a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for having sung in almost 20 languages for over 1,825 ms and working with 165 composers.
55. Name the first man to climb Mt. Everest without oxygen.
54. Who was the first Indian woman to swim across the English Channel?
May 28, 2010:
53. Who is the Indian sportsperson to have won the maximum number of international track and field medals?
52. Two Indians have received the Nobel Prize for Physics. Can you name them?
51. Who was the first Indian to get the Nobel Prize?
May 27, 2010:
49. Name the first President of India.
48. Name the youngest grandmaster in India.
May 26, 2010:
47. Topper of prestigious IIT-Joint Entrance Examination 2010.
Answer: Anumula Jithendar Reddy from Madras zone
46. Which are the BRIC countries?
Answer: a – Brazil, Russia, India, and China
May 20, 2010
45. Name the Cyclone that hit Bay of Bengal in May 2010 affecting coastal areas of Tamilnadu, AP and Orissa.
Answer: Cyclone Laila
44. Which Indian film-maker will be awarded with Jaeger-LeCoultre honour at venice Film Festival?
Answer: Mani Ratnam
43. Name the CEO of search company Google?
Answer: Eric Schmidt
42. ICICI Bank has announced merger of another Indian Bank with itself in an all swap deal- name the bank and its promoters.
Answer: Bank of Rajasthan / Promoters – Tayal family
41. Name the BBC Radio DJ who has been suspended for floating the rumor that Queen is dead.
Answer: Danny Kelly who has played the national anthem and declared that Queen Elizabeth has just now died
40. Which two countries have signed the Nuclear Swap deal with Iran?
Answer: Brazil and Turkey
39. Which country has blocked Facebook for holding an online competition to draw Prophet Mohammed
Answer: Pakistan – the Facebook in Pakistan has been blocked till 31 May as the competition is considered blasphamous
38. Which state among the northern Indian states spends most as a percentage of its GDP on Education?
Answer: Bihar (5.7%) followed by UP (3.67%)
37. Name the person of Indian origin (PIO) who has been nominated to become US Solicitor General?
Answer: Neal Kumar Katyal
36. The 3G telecom auctions by Government have earned Government much more than expected 35000 crore netting amount 67710 crore. Which company won auction in most of 22 circles? (a) RCom (b) Airtel (c) Vodaphone (d) Aircel (e) a,b,d (f) all above
Answer: (e) a,b,d - RCom, Airtel and Aircel won in 12 circles followd by Vodaphone in 9 circles
May 18, 2010:
35. Who is Miss USA 2010?
Answer: Rima Fakih, Arab-American a 24-year old Lebanese immigrant, is believed to be the first Muslim to win the pageant
May 17, 2010:
34. Name the child artist who has been nominated under ‘Best actor’ category in Film-fare awards giving competition to Shah Rukh Khan. His new movie Bumm Bumm Bole has been released recently.
Answer: Darsheel Safary
33. Which country won the Thomas Cup title for Badminton in 2010? – (a) Indonesia (b) Malaysia (c) China (d) India
China beat Indonesia 3-0 to win fourth consecutive Thomas Cup title at Kuala Lumpur.
32. Who won the Madrid Masters men’s tournament in 2010?
Answer: Rafael Nadal
Mutua Madrileña Madrid Open an ATP World Tour Masters with €2,835,000 prize money has been won by Rafael Nadal, who beat Roger Federer 6-2, 7-6 (7/5).
31. Which country won the World Twenty-20 cricket final?
England beat arch rivals Australia
30. Who is CEO of Yahoo?
Answer: Carol Bartz
61- year-old Carol Bartz is one of the most successful female CEO ever in IT companies.
29. Which Indian IT company is associated with FIFA World Cup 2010 as one of the sponsors? (a) TCS (b) Infosys (c) CTS (d) Mahindra Satyam
Answer: (d) Mahindra Satyam
28. Name the first Indian women who has been named as full professor at Harward University.
Answer: Gita Gopinath
Gita Gopinath, Indian-origin associate professor at Harvard University’s Department of Economics, has been appointed a full professor. She is first Indian women to do so and only third women in the whole world.
27. Name the Hindu right wing organisation against whom the charges have been filed by National Investigation Agency (NIA) for the 2009 Diwali-eve blast that killed two people in Goa’s Margao town.
Answer: Sanatan Sanstha
26. Which Indian actress / model has created controversy recently by sporting a Ek Onkar (God is one) tattoo on her nape. The tatto has been opposed by Sikh community leaders in India.
Answer: Mandira Bedi
25. Name the volcano whose dense cloud of drifting volcanic ash is causing many European airports to shut down for days and affecting air traffic worldwide.
The April 14 eruption at Iceland’s Eyjafjallajokul volcano forced most countries in northern Europe to shut their airspace between April 15-20. More than 100,000 flights and an estimated 10 million travelers worldwide were affected costing airlines more than $2 billion.
It erupted in April for the first time in nearly two centuries. During its last eruption, starting in 1821, its emissions rumbled on for two years.
23. Who was India’s most wanted man suspected of having organized the 1993 Mumbai bombings, figures third on the Forbes’ Most Wanted Fugitives list topped?
Answer: Dawood Ibrahim
22. Name the countries which agree on a nuclear fuel swap aimed at easing concerns from the West that Iran might build a bomb.
Answer: Brazil, Iran and Turkey
21. Who is the new director of barc?
Answer: RK sinha appointed as new director of barc
May 15, 2010:
20. Who was the 11th Vice-President of India who passed away recently on May 15, 2010?
Answer: Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, 87-year-old Bhairon Singh Shekhawat was died suffering from lung and chest infection
May 14, 2010:
19. Popular South Indian actress who is willing to join DMK Party?
18. Who Named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year(R) 2010 Award Finalist for Northern California ?
Answer: Roamware CEO Bobby Srinivasan, Bobby Srinivasan was selected as a finalist for his extraordinary success in the areas of innovation, financial performance and personal commitment to their businesses and communities from more than one hundred nominations by a panel of independent judges. Award recipients will be announced at a special gala event on June 12, 2010 at the San Jose Fairmont Hotel.
May 13, 2010:
17. Who is the latest actress who refused to work with Shiney Ahuja the actor allegedly accused for raping his maid.
Answer: Vaishali Desai in film Shaunya a horror flick produced by Puja Bedi. Vaishali Desai is a former Miss India and has made her debut in Kal Kissne Dekha opposite Jackie Bhagnani.16. Which Team won the Europa League Title? Answer: Atletico Madrid won the inaugural final of the Europa League on defeating Fulham at Hamburg. Diego Forlan struck an extra-time goal and secured a 2-1 win. 15. Which Company has started up a BPO in Srinagar starting reverse migration of Kashmir?
Answer: Essar Group-run Aegis has started a BPO in Srinagar 14. Name the company from whose premises toxic leak happened in one of the worst industrial disasters called Bhopal gas tragedy. Answer: Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) (now defunct) 13.Who received 27th Niwano Peace Foundation award on May 13, 2010?
Answer: Ms. Ela Ramesh Bhatt of Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) India who has received a medal and twenty million yen. The Niwano Peace Foundation Japan established the Niwano Peace Prize to honor and encourage individuals and organizations that have contributed significantly to inter-religious cooperation, thereby furthering the cause of world peace, and to make their achievements known as widely as possible. 12. Name the president of MCI – Medical Council of India who is facing graft charges and has to resign. Answer: Ketan Desai Ketan Desai was arrested on April 22 by CBI for allegedly accepting bribe to give permission to a Punjab medical college to recruit a fresh batch of students without having requisite infrastructure. MCI controlls Medical Education in India.
11. Who was the only surviving terrorist involved in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, and is found guilty of murder, conspiracy, and waging war against India recently?
Answer: Ajmal Kasab of Pakistan
10. Who is the IAS Topper in UPSC Civil Services Exam 2010 which has been released by UPSC recently?
Answer: SHAH FAESAL
Dr Faesal 26-year-old MBBS graduate, who topped the list of 875 successful candidates, said that he was not only the first Kashmiri to achieve the milestone but also the second Muslim in the history to achieve this feat.
9. Who is the Union minister who has offered to resign for his controversial remarks against the home ministry for allegedly stalling some Chinese imports?
Answer: Jairam Ramesh
May 12, 2010:
8. What is the real name of character artiste ‘Sambha‘ from super hit film of all times ‘Sholey‘ who passed away recently.
Answer: Mac Mohan
Apart from Sholey Mac Mohan also acted in Amitabh starrers like “Zanjeer”, “Don”, “Shaan” and “Satte Pe Satta”. He was suffering from lung cancer.
7. What is the name of panel that is being setup to look into Telangana issue?
Answer: Srikrishna committee
Srikrishna committee or panel has been set up to study the demand for separate Telangana
6. Who has issued fatwa – saying that it is illegal for women to work?
Answer: Darul Uloom Deoband
Darul Uloom Deoband the Sunni Muslim seminary had this fatwa issued by a bench of three clerics
5. What is Khap Panchayat?
Answer: Khap panchayats or caste councils are the local Panchayat’s in Haryana villages which have come into lime light due to their diktats (or fatwa) prohibiting same ‘gotra’ marriages’. They are run as a separate courts or adalats where judgement are given by Khap Panchs. The Hindu Marriage Act however does not prohibits same caste marriage. Most political parties support Khap Panchayats.
4. Who is the new IPL Commissionaire?
Answer: Chirayu Amin
Chirayu Amin has joined as the new IPL commissioner after the removal of lalit Modi. Mr. Amin is Baroda Cricket Association president and he also heads a company known as Alembic Chemicals.
3. Who is the British Prime Minister after Gordon Brown?
Answer: David Cameron
The 43-year-old Cameron becomes Britain’s youngest prime minister in almost 200 years. The last was Lord Liverpool at 42.
2. Who is the new Chief Justice of India?
Answer: Justice S H Kapadia,
Justice S H Kapadia (62-year-old), the most senior judge of the Supreme Court, was on Wednesday sworn in as the 38th Chief Justice of India by President Pratibha Patil
1. Who won World Chess Championship against Veselin Topalov in 2010?
Answer: Viswanathan Anand
- January - February 2012 Award
- Padma Puraskar Award 2012
- Current Affair: July 2010 Updated
- Current Affairs: April 2010:GK For Symbiosis , CLAT, MAT May 2010
- SAMPLE PAPER - Bank Probationary Officer Recruitment Exam
- Spotlight Plan,Commission, Meeting, Smitia,January2012
- Australia Wins Champions Trophy 2009
- Current Affairs 2009 For All Competitive Exams
- The World Health Organisation And World Health Day