IAS Main: Public Administration – 2004
Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks: 300
Candidates should attempt question 1 and 5 which are compulsory, and any three of the remaining questions selecting at least
one question from each section. The number of marks carried by each question is indicated at the end of the question. .
1. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each: (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) "The advent of the concept of "roll back of the state" since the nineteen eighties has been altering the role of
public administration but certainly not diminishing its central place in human society." Discuss
(b) "Weberian model of bureaucracy lacks empirical validity when applied to modern democratic administration."
(c) "The new public administration (NPM) is an incarnation of a new model of public sector management in response
of the challenge of liberalization, international competitiveness and technological changes". Explain.
(d) 'Citizen's charter' is the most important innovation in the context of promotion of customer-orientation of
2. Give an account of major landmarks in the growth of the discipline of public administration in the 20th century.
What are the possible trends in its growth in the first decades of 21st century? (60)
3. Account for the increasing corruption in administration. Suggest remedies to curb administrative corruption. (60)
4. What is morale? State its significance and suggest methods to foster and sustain morale in an organization. (60)
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each: (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) "Organization today seems to invest in information and information systems, but their investments often do not
seem to make sense". Comment.
(b) "development administration has two important aspects viz. 'the administration of development and the
development of administration'. Explain.
(c) "training is practical education in any profession, not only to improve skills but also to develop attitudes and
scheme of values necessary for effective performance." Elaborate.
(d) "Legislative controls over finances are inadequate and incomplete." Comment.
6. Examine the needs adn facets of administrative reforms in the fast changing scenario of the 21st century. What
are the obstacles to administrative reforms? Give suggestion to overcome them. (60)
7. Comment on the role of public administration in policy making and its implementation. What are the other factors
influencing the policy process? (60)
8. What are the various institutional devices available for the redressal of citizen's grievances against the excess
and malfunctioning of administration? How successful have they been (60).