IAS GENERAL STUDIES PRELIMS QUESTION PAPER - 2006 (PART -5)
102.A mixed doubled tennis game I to be played between two teams (each team consists of one male and one female). There are 4 married couples. No team is to consists of a husband and his wife. What is the Maximum number of games that can be played?
(a) 12 (b) 21
(c) 36 (d) 42
103.In an office, the number of persons who take tea is twice the number of persons who take only coffee. The number of persons who take coffee is twice the number of persons who take coffee is twice the number of persons who take only tea.
Consider the following statements :
1. The sum of the number of persons who take either tea or coffee or both is four times the number of persons who take both coffee and tea.
2. The sum of the number of persons who take only coffee and those who take only tea is twice the number of persons who take both and coffee. Which of the statements given above is/ are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
104.Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists:
A. Harold Pinter
B. Jacques Diouf
C. Jose Manuel Barroso
D. Raymond Lafitte
1. Director-General, Fao
2. President, European Commission
3. World Bank appointed expert for Adjudicating on the Baglihar Hydel Project
A B C D
(a) 4 3 2 1
(b) 4 3 2 1
(c) 2 1 4 3
(d) 2 3 4 1
105.Consider the following statements :
1. Life Insurance Corporation of India is the oldest insurance company is India.
2. National Insurance Company Limited was nationalized in the year 1972 and made a subsidiary of General Insurance Corporation of India.
3. Headquarters of United India Insurance Company Limited are located at Chennai.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1 and 2, only
(c) 2 and 3, only (d) 1 and 3, only
106.Which one of the following pairs is
(a) North Eastern Railway
(b) South Eastern Railway
(c) Eastern Railway
(d) South East Central Railway
107.Which one of the following is the correct statements? Service tax is a/an
(a) direct tax levied by the Central Government.
(b) indirect tax levied by the Central Government
(c) direct tax levied by the State Government
(d) indirect tax levied by the State Government
108.Which one of the following pairs is
(a) Sigmund Freud : Psychoanalysis
(b) Anna Freud : Child psychiatry
(c) Milton Friedman : Economic
(d) Eric R. Kandel : Literature
109.Who is the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Reseach?
(a) President of India
(b) Vice-President of India
(c) Prime Minister of India
(d) Union Minister of Science and Technology
110. Projects and Development India Limited is Mainly engaged is design engineering, procurement and supervision of construction/commissioning in which area?
(a) Pharmaceutical plants
(b) Petroleum refineries and sugar factories
(c) Ship-building yard
(d) Fertilizer and allied chemical plants
111. Where is the Central Water and Power Research Station located?
(a) Khadakwasia (b) Sileru
(c) Jamnagar (d) Srisailam
112. Which one of the following companies is associated with the exploration and commercial production of oil in Barmer- Sanchore basin of Rajasthan?
(a) Cairn Energy
(b) Unocal Corporation
(c) Reliance Energy Ventures
113. Recently with Which country.s government did ONGC-Mittal Energy Limited (OMEL) sign a joint, venture deal of $6 billion dealing with infrastructure, refinery and power?
(a) Colombia (b) Venezuela
(c) Nigeria (d) Saudi Arabia
114. Which one among the following as awarded the CSIR. Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2004 in September, 2005 by the Prime Minister of India?
(a) Infosys Technologies Ltd.
(b) Midas Communication Technologies
(c) Tata Consultancy Services
(d) Biocon India Ltd.
115. Who among the following directed the film chosen as India.s offical entry for the year 2006 Academy Awards?
(a) Adodor Gopalakrishnan
(b) Amol Palekar
(c) Sanjay Leela Bhansali
(d) Kunal Kohli
116. Recently Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the linking of two rivers as a link project. Which are these two rivers?
(a) Betwa and Chambal
(b) Betwa and Ken
(c) Chambal and Son
(d) Ken and Narmada
117. Who among the following laid the foundation of Rashtrakuta Empire?
(a) Amoghavarsha I
(d) Krishna I
118. With reference to the Government of India.s varius programmes, what is Nirmal Gram Puraskar?
(a) It is an incentive scheme of scholarships for the single girl child in families in villages.
(b) It is an incentive scheme of scholarships for female sportspersons from villages who represent their states in any game.
(c) It is an incentive scheme for schools in the villages for computer education.
(d) It is an incentive scheme Panchayati Raj institutions.
119. Which is the correct chronoligcal sequence of the major events given below?
1. SLV-3 Launch
2. Formation of Bagladesh
3. Sikim becomes 22nd State of the Indian Union
4. Pokharan-I test.
Select the correct answer using the
code given below :
(a) 2, 4, 3, 1 (b) 3, 1, 2, 4
(c) 2, 1, 3, 4 (d) 3, 4, 2, 1
120.Which of the following substances are found in the beach sands of many parts of Kerala?
1. Ilmenite 2. Zircon
3. Silimanite 4. Tungsten
Select the correct answer using the code given belwo :
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 1, 2 and 3
(c) 3 and 4 only (d) 1 and 2 only
121.In which Olympics games did India last win a Gold Medal?
(a) Montreal (1976)
(b) Moscow (1980)
(c) Los Angeles (1984)
(d) Atalanta (1996)
122.In which country is the committee which selects winners for Nobel peace prize located?
(a) Norway (b) Sweden
(c) Finland (d) Denmark
123.Match List . I (Indian Scientist/Scholar) with List-II (Area of work) and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists :
A. C.N.R. Rao
B. Jagdish Bhagwati
C. G.N. Ramchandran
4. Solid State Chemistry and Material Science
A B C D
(a) 4 3 2 1
(b) 2 1 4 3
(c) 4 1 2 3
(d) 2 3 4 1
124.Who was the Chief Justice of India when public interest litigation (PIL) was introduced to the Indian Judicial System?
(a) M. Hidaatullah (b) A.M. Ahmadi
(c) A.S. Anand (d) P.N. Bhagwati
125.Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists :
List I (Person)
A. Ela Bhatt
B. Mahashweta Devi
C. Ebrahim Alkazi
D. Vijay Govindarajan
List-II (Area of work)
1. Theatre training
2. Womens. labour sector
3. Management teaching
4. Literrateur and Social Worker for the country.s tribal communities
A B C D
(a) 3 1 4 2
(b) 2 4 1 3
(c) 3 4 1 2
(d) 2 1 4 3