IAS Mains Previous Year Paper Animal Husbandry and Vetenary Sciences (1999)
PAPER - I
1. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Nutrient requirements for milking cows and buffaloes
(b) Nutrient requirements and feed formulation for broilers at different ages
(c) Current status of hormonal control of mammary development, milk secretion and milk ejection
(d) Factors affecting semen production and quality preservation
2. Discuss the mechanisms of adaptation and regulatory mechanisms involved in animal behaviour under environmental stress factors. Describe the various methods for controlling the climatic stress conditions in farm animals.
3. The swine feed has become very costly. Describe as to how you will formulate a balanced swine ration most economically without adversely/affecting the growth of the baby-growing pigs and the quality of meat production.
4. Explain the steps for preparation of artificial vagina before collection of semen. Describe the deep freezing techniques of semen for artificial insemination in cows, sheep, goats, swine and poultry.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Economic dairy farming
(b) Modem trends in enhancing production of eggs and poultry meat
(c) Feeding and management of dairy animals under flood conditions
(d) Chromosomal aberrations in farm animals
6. Describe the merits and demerits of Deep litter system and Battery system of housing poultry. Which system of poultry housing will you recommend to poultry farmers in India and why?
7. Name the species of animals in India which are commercially used for wool production. Describe various breeds of each such species. How will you proceed for improving a rabbit colony for wool and meat production, by using different selection and breeding methods?
8. What is heterosis and what is its genetic basis? How can heterosis be advantageously used in various methods of breeding?
PAPER - II
1. Write short notes, on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Zero disease concept
(b) Biochemical tests for renal dysfunction
(c) Care and management of Angora rabbits
(d) Adulteration of meat and its detection
2. Discuss the rules and regulations for improvement of animal quality and disease prevention.
3. Describe the modern concept of anaesthesia with reference to dissociative anaesthesia.
4. Explain the principles of chemotherapy in microbial and parasitic infections in domestic animals.
5. Write, short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Occupational zoonotic diseases
(b) Slaughter house by-products and their utilisation
(c) Nervous and chemical regulation of heart in animals
6. Discuss the problems and constraints in transfer of technology for rural development in animal husbandry sector.
7. Name five important contagious diseases of cattle. Describe the diagnostic procedures and control measures to be adopted for control of disease outbreak in rural areas.
8. Describe the pathogenesis, diagnosis and control of important deficiency diseases in poultry.