IAS Mains Previous Year Paper Geology (1992)
Paper-I- Geology-1992 (Mains)
1. Explain any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Mid-oceanic ridges
(c) Thrust faults
(d) Erosion surfaces
2. Describe the disposition of linear structures in an area of polyphase folding.
3. Describe the landforms of coastal areas.
4. Give an account of the interior of the earth as inferred from seismic data.
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Iron ore Series
(b) Sargur supracrustals
(c) Climatic changer during Gondwana period
(d) Forams in oil exploration
6. Draw a neat sketch of a trilobite and describe its morphology.
7. Describe the Cuddapah Super-Group covering its stratigraphy, sedimentation, igneous activity and economic importance.
8. Write notes on the following:
(a) Bagh beds
(b) Bundelkhand granite
(c) Sausar Series
Paper-II- Geology-1992 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Stereographic Projection
(b) Dispersion in minerals
(c) Bowens reaction principle
(d) Depositional environment of sediments
2. Describe the optic principle of ‘anisotropism and give an account of the optical expression of this process in natural minerals.
3. Give an account of Physical Chemical and Optical properties of the mica group of minerals. Add a note on their uses and products of alteration.
4. Describe any three of the following rock types:
5. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Tenor of ore
(b) Geology in relation to dam construction
(c) Flotation method of ore dressing
(d) Coal Field of Andhra Pradesh
6. Describe the electrical methods of prospecting and critically review their limitations.
7. Describe sedimentary processes as ore forming processes with example.
8. Critically review the methods of conserving minerals and the laws to enforce such conservation.