IES - Indian Economic Service General Studies Previous Year Paper (1998)
1. Answer any three of the following (in about 75 words each): (3 ×10 = 30)
(a) Distinguish between economic growth and development.
(b) Bring out the relation between price and wage policy.
(c) What are coral reefs? How are they ecologically important?
(d) How do the Western Ghats differ from the Eastern Ghats?
(e) What is EI Nino? How does it affect the Indian monsoon?
2. Write short notes on any two of the following (in about 75 words each): (2 × 10 = 20)
(a) The Y2K problem
(b) Geological fault
3. Write a short note on any one of the following (in about 75 Words each): (1 × 10 = 10)
(a) Discuss the significance of the Non-Cooperation Movement. Why was it suspended suddenly?
(b) What is Uniform Civil Code?
4. Write short notes on/answer any five of the following (in about 25 words each): (5 × 2 = 10)
(a) Radiocarbon dating
(c) What are the implications of the enactment of a Uniform Civil Code?
(d) Who is a Protem-Speaker? What are his duties?
(e) What is India’s highest civilian award? Which foreigners received the award?
(f) What is an Ordinance?
(g) What is ‘Adjournment Motion’?
5. Write short notes on any five of the following (in about 25 words each): (5 × 2 10)
(a) Sustainable Development
(b) Duration of Municipalities
(c) Bismillah Khan
(d) Martin Luther (1483-1546)
(e) World Statesman Award
(f) Audit of accounts of Panchayats
(g) Consumer Sovereignty
6. Are the following statements True or False? Answer any five and give reasons for your answer (in about 25 words each): (5 × 2 = 10)
(a) Sea water boils at a higher temperature than fresh water.
(b) Comets are not members of our solar system.
(c) Literate soils are rich in calcium.
(d) The Earth is nearest to the Sun in June.
(e) A solar eclipse can occur only on a full moon day.
(f; A satellite in orbit is a continuously falling body.
(g) The density of water is highest at 0°C.
7. Write short notes on any five of the following (in about 25 words each): (5 × 2 =10)
(a) Frank Sinatra
(b) Minoo Masani
(c) Siva Ramakrishna Chandrasekhar
(d) Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibe
(e) Gheorghe Hagi
(f) Slocum S. H.
(g) Savarkar V. D.
8. Write short notes or1answer any five of the following (in about 25 words each): (5 × 2 = 10)
(a) Annie Besant
(b) Hindu View of Life
(e) What were the chief ports on the west coast of ancient India?
(f) Who introduced Din-i-Hahi? What were its essential features?
(g) Analyse briefly the importance of the Battle of Plassey.
9. Write notes on/answer any five of the following (in about 25 words each): (5 × 2 = 10)
(a) What are the six systems of Hindu philosophy?
(b) What made Muhammad bin Tughlaq unpopular?
(c) Why is January 26 celebrated as the Republic Day?
(d) Why was Basmati rice in the news recently?
(e) Risk to environment from CFCs.
(f) Gene Therapy
(g) Human Genome Project
10. Where are the following located? (Mention both City and State) (5 × 1 = 5)
(a) Central Glass and Ceramics Research Institute
(b) National Geophysical Research institute
(c) Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research
(d) Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany
(e) Central Food Technological Research Institute
11. Write one sentence each on the following: (5 ×1 = 5)
(d) Sonic boom
12. Mention the names of the rivers on the banks of which the following cities are located: (5 × 1 = 5)
(e) New York
13. Name the authors of the following books: (5 × 1 = 5)
(a) A Brief History of Time
(c) The Voyage of the Beagle
(d) Silent Spring
(e) The Emperors New Mind
14. Answer the following: (5 × 1 = 5)
(a) What is Quorum?
(b) What is Guillotine?
(c) What is a National Political Party?
(d) What is mid-term election?
(e) To which State does Article 370 of the Constitution relate
15. Answer the following: (5 ×1 = 5)
(a) Name the Indian born British litterateur who has turned a hundred recently.
(b) Which is the least populated State in the Indian Union?
(c) Who is the present Chief of the army Staff in India?
(d) Which country won the Pepsi Independence Cup in 1997 at Mohali?
(e) Who appoints the Attorney General of India?