IES - Indian Economic Service General Studies Previous Year Paper (2003)
1. Answer any THREE of the following questions (in about 75 words each) : 5×3 = 15
(a) Describe the importance of the monsoons to the Indian economy.
(b) Write a note on Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
(c) What are the ways and means by which elections could be made more meaningful?
(d) Explain the status of Ministers known as Ministers of State in the Council of Ministers.
(e) Write a short note on ISRO.
2. Answer any TWO of the following questions (in about 75 words each) 5×2 = 10
(a) Why is Gupta period regarded important in Indian History?
(b) Discuss the role of the moderates in the formative stage of the Indian National Congress.
(c) Write a short note on solar energy resources.
3. Answer any ONE of the following questions (in about 75words): 5×1 = 5
(a) What are Breeder Reactors? What are their relevance in the Indian context?
(b) After what has happened in the recent conference in Cancun (Mexico), is the WTO still relevant?
4. Write short notes on any FOUR of the following (in not more than 25 words each) 2×4 = 8
(a) Track-Il Diplomacy
(b) Social Forestry
(d) Standard Time
(e) Greenhouse Gases
5. Write short notes on any FOUR of the following (in not more than 25 words each) : 2×4 = 8
(a) United Nations Children’s Fund
(b) Differentiate between Isothermal and Adiabatic process.
(c) What is dialysis?
(d) What are superconductors?
(e) Archaeological survey of India.
6. Are the following statements True or False? Give brief reasons for your answer. Attempt any FOUR of the following in not more than 25 words each. 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Arafat is the name of a mountain.
(b) Gandhi Peace Prize was given only to foreign dignitaries or institutions.
(c) Shankara was a famous scholar of Vedanta.
(d) Sister Nivedita was a follower of Vivekananda.
(e) The children are prone to Euthanasia.
(f) The Pugwash Movement was the brainchild of Nehru and Sukarno.
7. Why have the following persons come into news in recent time? Answer any FOUR of the following in not more than 25 words each. 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Gerry Adams
(b) Fidel Castro
(c) Chandrika Kumaratunga
(d) Bimal Jalan
(e) Kiran Bedi
8. Where are the following located? Attempt any FOUR (mention both the places and the state) 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Central Drug Research Institute
(b) Space Application Centre
(c) Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research
(d) Central Mining Research Institute
(e) Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre
9. Mention the names of States in which the following cities are located 1×5 = 5
10. Why are the following persons important? Give your answer in 25 words each 1×5 = 5
(c) Lord Ripon
(d) General Dyer
(e) Sayyid Abmad Khan
11. Write one sentence on each of the following 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Geothermal energy
(c) Renewable resource
(d) Maha Kumbha Mela
(e) Article 324 of the Constitution of India
12. What do the following abbreviations stand for? 1 × 5 = 5
13. Where are the following located? Mention place and state 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Rani Gumpha
(b) Meenakshi Temple
(c) Fort William
(d) Brindavan Gardens
(e) Kovalam Beach
14. Mention the names of the following 1 × 5 = 5
(a) The official who said, ‘Gandhi is one man boundary force.’
(b) The person who said, You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through the study of Gita.
(c) The person who said, ‘I would prefer newspapers without Government rather than Government without newspapers.’
(d) The first woman Prime Minister of the World.
(e) The first blind man to scale Mount Everest.