ISS - Indian Statistical Service General Knowledge Previous Year Paper (2000)
1. Answer any three of the following questions: (in about 75words) : 15
(a) Discuss the concept of Human Development. How is it different from development as economic growth?
(b) Bring out the salient characteristics of rainfall in India.
(c) Summarize the main features of the Housing and Habitat Policy of the Government of India.
(d) Explain the Himalayan orogeny.
(e) Explain the significance of Sankhya Vahini.
2. Write short notes on any two of the following questions: (in about 75 words each) 2 x 5 = 10
(a) What are the bases for demands of bifurcation of states in India?
(b) Discuss the salient features of Indian culture.
(c) Write a note on animal cloning.
3. Write a short note on any one of the following questions (in about 75 words) 1 x 5 = 5
(a) Why does the sky look blue?
(b) Discuss India’s stand on CTBT.
SECTION - II
4. Write short notes on any four of the following : (in not more than 25 words): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) Zero Hour’ in Parliament.
(b) Census of India definition of a ‘Town’.
(c) Distinction between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion.
(e) Major rivers originating from the Amarkantak range.
(f) Public Interest Litigation
5. Write short notes on any four of the following : (in not more than 25words): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) National Council of Educational Research and Training
(b) Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India
(c) Press Trust of India
(d) Centre for Development of Telematics
(e) Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana
(f) Remote sensing by satellite.
6. Are the following statements True of False? Give brief reasons for your answer. Attempt any four of the following : (in more than 25 words): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) The material in the inner core of the earth is solid despite high temperature.
(b) President of India is directly elected by the people of India.
(c) ‘Digambar’ and ‘Shetamber’ are two main sects of Buddhism.
(d) Art 356 of the Indian Constitu ion assigns a special status to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.
(e) Bad coins drive our good coins out of circulation.
(f) The government of India has declared the year 1999- 2000 as the ‘Year of Municipal
7. Why have the following persons come into news into recent time ? Answer any FOUR of the following: (in not more than 25 words) 4 x 2 = 8
(a) Hansie Cronje
(b) Mahendra Chaudhury
(c) Venus Williams
(d) Lara Dutta
(e) Dr. Abdul Kalam
(f) Buddhadeva Dasgupta
8. Where are the following located? 4 x 2 = 8
(Mention both the place and the state)
(a) Central Institute of Buddhist Studies
(b) National Seismological Database Centre
(c) Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan
(d) Indian Museum
SECTION - III
9. Mention the names of the rivers on whose banks the following cities are located 5 x 1 = 5
10. Why are the following persons important? (in not more than 25 words) 5 x 1 = 5
(b) Madan Mohan Malaviya
(c) Shyama Prasad Mukherjee
(d) Nirad C. Choudhury
(e) Hema Malini
11. Write one sentence each on the following: 5×1 = 5
(a) National Open School
(b) National Capital Region
(c) Viswakarma Puraskar
(d) Business Advisory Committee of the Lok Sabha
12. What do the following abbreviations stand for? 5×1 = 5
13. Where are the following located? (mention place and state) 5×1 = 5
(a) Brindaban Gardens
(b) Rock Garden
(c) Nandankanan Zoological Park
(d) Shalimar Garden
(e) Eden Garden
14. Mention the names of the following: 5 x 1 = 5
(a) The first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India
(b) The first Chief Election Commissioner of India
(c) The first Chief of Army Staff of India
(d) The first Nobel Laureate of India
(e) The last Governor General of India