IFS - Indian Forest Service Botany Previous Year Paper (I) (2002)
PAPER - I : SECTION A
1. Answer any four of the following : (Your answers should not exceed 150 words for each of the sub-sections): (10 × 4 = 40)
(a) Write short notes on:
(ii) Chemical composition of Bacterial cell wall
(iii) Fungal cell wall
(iv) Cell wall less bacteria
(b) Answer the following:
(i) What is a zoospore? Mention its function.
(ii) Define parasite.
(iii) Write a note on Heterothallism in Fungi.
(iv) Write a note on Heterotrichous thallus in Algae.
(c) Explain the following:
(i) Paddy blast
(ii) Red rot of sugarcane
(iii) Sandal spike
(iv) Bacterial blight of paddy
(d) Describe the following:
(i) Structure of Funaria capsule
(iii) Gemma cups
(iv) Types of Protosteles
(e) Write short notes on:
(i) Types of sexual reproduction in Fungi
(ii) Palmella stage
(iii) Telome theory
2. (a) Discuss the role of Algae in human welfare.
(b) Give an account of Protoplast culture. (20 × 2= 40)
3. (a) Give an account of sporocarp in Marsilea and add a note on leaf modification into sporocarp.
(b) Discuss about heterospory and seed habit citing suitable examples. (20 × 2 = 40)
4. Describe the following: (20 × 4 = 40)
(d) Somatic hybrids
5. Answer any four of the following (Your answers should not exceed 150 words for each of the subsections): (10 × 4 = 40)
(a) Distinguish the following:
(i) Compare diagnostic features of Orchidaceae and Liliaceae.
(ii) Compare Floral structures in Ranunculaceae and Magnoliaceae.
(iii) Compare pollination in Fabaceae and Poacea along with their flower structures.
(iv) Compare Floral formulae of Musa paradisiacal. and Oryza sativa
(b) Describe the following:
(i) Pollen grain in Pinus
(ii) Structure of ovule in Gnetum
(iii) Ovule in Cordaitales
(iv) Leaf anatomy in Cycas
(c) Describe the following:
(iv) NPC system
(d) Write short notes on the following:
(i) Classification of angiosperms by Cronquist
(ii) Canada balsam
(iv) What is Botanic Garden? Name some National Botonic Gardens.
(e) Briefly describe the following:
(i) Importance of Palynology in Taxonomy
(ii) Criteria of Phylogenetic classification
(iv) Triple fusion
6. Answer the following: (10 × 4 = 40)
(i) Discuss in detail the microsporogenesis.
(ii) Give the phylogenetic consideration of Gneturn.
(iii) Give the Floral structure in Poaceae.
(iv) Describe the role of Anatomy in
7. Answer the following: (20 × 4 = 40)
(a) Discuss Takhtajan’s principles in evaluating the relative degree of advancement of flowering plants.
(b) Define Type Specimen and add a not on the importance of Herbarium.
(c) Mention the plants as sources with reference to paper, drugs and resins.
(d) Write a note on Cleavage polyembryony.
8. (a) Mention he botanical name, family and plant part used of the following: (10 × 2 = 20)
(ix) Sugar palm
(b) Discuss in detail about Ethnobotany. (20)