IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Medical Sciences (2005)
PAPER - I
1. Attempt any three of the following:
(a) Write gross anatomy of uterus. Add notes on supports of uterus, its histological structure and development. (20)
(b) Describe course, relations and distribution of ulnar nerve in hand. Add a note on its applied anatomy. (20)
(c) Describe the sequence of events in neuromuscular transmission. What happens in myestheniagravis? (20)
(d) A famous experiment was carried out by two scientists, Alfred Hershey and Martha Chase in 1952, which has shown that DNA is the chemical bearing the Genetics information in living cells. Briefly describe that Hershey Chase experiment. (20)
2. (a) Discuss gross and applied anatomy of Knee Joint. (20)
(b) Which sensations are carried by Dorsal columns of spinal cord? What changes occur in their lesion? (20)
(c) Describe visual pathway. Discuss various visual impairments involving visual pathway at different levels. (20)
3. (a) List the hormones secreted by placenta and their functions. What is the physiological basis of early immunological test for pregnancy. (20)
(b) Explain the physiological basis of various signs and symptoms of Diabetes mallitus. (20)
(c) List the various types of cells found in blood and the precursor cell, function and normal values of each. (20)
4. (a) Describe the reactions that constitute the Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle' (TCA-Cycle). Indicate the energy yield per each cycle. (20)
(b) Describe the explain the ventilatory changes in acid base balance. (20)
(c) In terms of biochemistry and molecular biology, discuss the characteristic features of 'Living Organisms.' (20)
5. Attempt any three of the following:
(a) Describe the salient gross and microscopic features in Tuberculous meningitis. (20)
(b) Define sterilization and disinfection. Classify isterilization methods. Describe the sterilization and disinfection methods to be adopted in a District General "Hospital having all the major clinical departments including the critical care units. (20)
(c) Critically review the various routes of administration of drug. (20)
(d) What is 'disputed paternity'? Describe how you will solve such a problem by examination of blood. (20)
6. (a) Discuss the aetiology and pathology of membranous glomerulo nephritis. (20)
(b) Discuss the causes and pathology of drug-induced hepatitis. (20)
(c) What are Nosocomial infections? Classify staphylo-coccal infections with examples. Explain MRSA, VISA & VRE and the significance of these in hospitals. (20)
7. (a) Name the alkaloids of opium. Mention actions, therapeutic uses and contraindications of opoid analgesics. (20)
(b) Discuss about the pharmacological actions, therapeutic uses and side effects of Dizepam, Metronidazole and Rifampin. (20)
(c) What is aminoglycoside antibiotics? Write about the pharmacological actions, resistance, pharmacokinetics, uses and adverse effects of streptomycin. (20)
8. (a) Define 'dry drowning'. Describe postmortem findings in a case of drowning in fresh water. (20)
(b) Describe the signs, symptoms and treatment of acute barbiturate poisoning. (20)
(c) Describe how you will differentiate between antemortem and postmortem injuries on postmortem examination. (20)
PAPER - II
General Medicine, Paediatrics and Dermatology)
1. Answer any three of the following: (3 x 20 = 60)
(a) How will you diagnose various types of Irritable Bowel Syndrome? What management modalities are applied at present?
(b) In Paediatric practice, what drugs should be avoided and what drugs should be used cautiously?
(c) Discuss the management of Multidrug Resistant Tuberculosis.
(d) Describe the clinical features and management of Psoriasis.
2. (a) A young adult of 18 years comes with history of Recurrent Seizures. How will you manage this and Status Epilepticus ? (20)
(b) How will you diagnose Leptospirosis? Give its management in epidemic situation. (20)
(c) Common opportunistic infections in full blown AIDS disease- what treatment options are available? (20)
3. 30 years old male has come with Jaundice of one-week duration. Discuss the differential diagnosis and management. (60)
4. (a) Classify antihypertensive drugs, and write about their indications and contraindications in various associated disorders. (30)
(b) Write about diagnosis and management of Septicaemia and Septic Shock. (30)
(General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology including Family Planning and Preventive & Social Medicine)
5. Answer any three of the following: (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) Write short notes on:
(ii) Rodent ulcer
(iii) Scalene mode
(b) A-young female is having Multiple Bilateral Renal Stones with body aches and recurrent urinary infection. How will you manage it? Give outline only.
(c) Write a short note on Methods of Diagnosis of Pregnancy.
(d) Write a short note on Immunization against Hepatitis B.
6. (a) A young male is having fever since one week with abdominal pain of 2 days duration with abdominal distension. Discuss its management. (30)
(b) Enumerate the causes of Dysphagia. How will you manage a case of Hiatus Hernia? (30)
7. (a) Enumerate the causes of Postpartum Haemorrhage. How will you prevent it? Give management of a case of Postpartum Haemorrhage. (40)
(b) Give the causes of Amenorrhoea. How will you investigate a cause? (20)
8. (a) Describe measures to reduce the effects od Noise Pollution in urban areas of India. (30)
(b) Outline the kind of epidemiological method that provides information on Relative Risk and Attributable Risk. Illustrate with suitable examples, what is meant by these two terms. (30)