ISS - Indian Statistical Service General Knowledge Previous Year Paper (2001)
1. Answer any THREE of the following questions (in about 75 words each) : 3 x 5 = 15
(a) Give an account of major mountain ranges of the Himalayan region.
(b) Account for the concentration of the Jute mills along the Hooghly river.
(c) What are the salient features of the Federal System?
(d) Discuss the basic features of the Parliamentary Democracy.
(e) Explain the significance of the Human Genome Project.
2. Write short notes on any TWO of the following questions (in about 75 words each): 2 x 5 = 10
(a) Why Akbar has been called the ‘Great Mughal’?
(b) What were the provisions of the Indian Independence Act of July 1947?
(c) India’s nuclear energy programme.
3. Write short notes on any ONE of the following questions (in about 75 words each) : 1 x 5 = 5
(a) How does a sonar work?
(b) India’s attitude towards Non-trade issues on WTO agenda.
4. Write short notes on any FOUR of the following questions (in not more than 25 words each): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) Doctrine of Judicial Review
(b) Parliamentary Committees
(c) Urban field
(d) Major tributaries of Cauvery
(e) Golden rice
5. Write short notes on any FOUR of the following questions (in not more than 25 words each): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) Write of Habeas Corpus
(b) Central Leather Research Institute
(c) Indian Council of Medical Research
(d) Transgenic Organism
(e) Ham radio
6. Are the following statements True or False? Give brief reasons for your answer. Attempt any FOUR of the following (in not more than 25 words each): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) Fundamental Rights of the citizen have been given n Part III of the Indian Constitution.
(b) Right to Constitutional Remedies have been given under Article 32 of the Indian Constitution
(c) Hiuen-Tsang wrot the book Indika
(d) Lala Lajpat Rai said ‘Freedom is our birth-right and we shall have it’
(e) Sound travels faster through steel than through air
(f) A lunar eclipse can be seen from any place where the moon is visible.
7. Why have the following persons come into news in recent times? Answer any FOUR of the following (in not more than 25 words each): 4 x 2 = 8
(a) Fred Hoyle
(b) Narain Karthikeyan
(c) Justice S. P. Bharucha
(d) Lata Mangeshkar
(e) V. S. Naipaul
8. Where are the following located? (Mention both the place and tie state) 4 x 2 = 8
(a) National Botanical Research Institute
(b) Chittaranjan Cancer Hospital
(c) National Archives of India
(d) Salar Jang Museum
(e) Centre for Advanced Technology
9. Mention the names of the rivers on whose banks the following cities are located: 5 x 1 = 25
10. Why are the following persons important? (in not more than 25 words each) 5 x 1 = 5
(a) Pulakesin II
(d) Lala Hardayal
(e) Rashbehari Bose
11. Write one sentence each on the following 5 x 1 = 5
(a) Integrated Rural Development Programme
(b) Library Committee of the Lok Sabha
(c) Dada Sahed Phalke Award
(d) Calcutta Urban Region
12. What do the following abbreviations stand for? 5 × 1 = 5
13. Where are the following located? (Mention place and state) 5 x 1 = 5
(a) Marine Beach
(b) Roomi Darwaja
(c) Safdar Jang’s tomb
(d) Char minar
(e) Pichola Lake
14. Mention the names of the following 5 x 1 = 5
(a) The first Indian woman in space
(b) The first Governor-General of India
(c) India’s largest sugar-producing state
(d) The first Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission
(e) India’s longest serving Prime Minister till data.